Monday, January 22, 2007

Isaiah Washington, fighting for career, apologizes deeply for anti-gay slur

Link The New York Times doesn't even write the word, but you can guess what word it is that Washington allegedly said once on the set of Grey's Anatomy and definitely said once in public at the Golden Globes -- of all places. And it wasn't the short version, it was the long version used profusely on playgrounds in elementary and middle school while I was growing up.

I must say that I'm impressed that the country has come to a point where saying it in public is getting close to saying the slur against African Americans in public by a non-African American. Not sure why but African Americans themselves get a pass in using that slur.

I'm ashamed to say I've used the anti-gay word before, before I was out. Maybe out gay people get a pass for saying it, but now I wouldn't do it -- it still has too many hurtful associations.

No comments: